Warning! If you read this book on an airplane, you’ll have to explain to your seatmates why your eyes get teary-eyed toward the back of this can’t-put-it-down novel. (Fortunately, the middle seat was empty on my flight.)
“Why do you enjoy making everything I say sound stupid?” Steven Kerner asks his Southern California out-of-the-box mentor. The loud Hawaiian-shirted, 1970 Buick Electra-driving, cigar-smoking, becoming-a-trusted-friend responds, “I don’t. I only enjoy making the stupid things you say sound stupid.”
“Will grace finally win?” is the big question in this life-changing, profound first-person story. It’s a novel, but don’t let that fool you. It’s in-the-trenches real life. Uncomfortably so. It’s for Christ-followers who don’t and it’s for Christ-seekers who might.
Andy, the Beach Boys-era sage (with his own warts) comments, “Nothing defines religion quite as well as a bunch of people trying to do impossible tasks with limited power while bluffing to themselves that it’s working.”
Bo’s Café is the Pacific Ocean view hangout. The assembled cast is part Cheers (where everybody knows your name) and part sit-com accountability group. Carlos (who used to fake it as a pastor) guts it out about the environment of grace that is the gang at Bo’s Café:
“Listen, we don’t need places like this to become more like church. We need churches to become more like this place. You know?”
But don’t think that this is about church or Cheers. Fast-track marketing exec Steven (age 34, married, one daughter) has blown it. Married. Marriage problems. Angry. Anger problems. Serious mask problems. All the past fixes don’t fix it. “Lies picked up when we’re young can stay with us for a lifetime.”
And so enters grace. An environment of grace. I won’t spoil the story. But let me say this. I have three more months of books to review this year. I can announce already that Bo’s Café is on my Annual Top-5 list. It’s that important. You’ll hear from God and want to share it with many, many others.
I’m so grateful for John Lynch, Bill Thrall and Bruce McNicol—and the whole
TrueFace team—for this gift to God’s people. William Paul Young, the author of
The Shack, writes, “
Bo’s Café is a treasure for all of us who harbor a longing to be authentic.” Treasure indeed.
No comments:
Post a Comment